Sunday 30 August 2015

Autumn harvest

Late summer

It is now late August and at the moment the weather here by the Bay of Fundy is glorious.

I reported on my Kale growing in spring and that I was able to harvest some for a delicious meal. As I have now learnt Kale is a biannual plant which sets seeds the second year and I have been enjoying the huge plants with little yellow flowers this summer. Now the seedpods are ready to be harvested, so I have got plenty of seeds for next year. Not bad.

I have to report though that my gardening season has not turned out the way I planned it to be. My dear STRONG dog pulled my arm so badly in the beginning of June that I couldn't do anything in my garden until July.  The major part of my vegetable patch is now covered with weeds. This was really disappointing, but I am so happy that my arm now has healed.

My herb garden has been great, producing enormous amounts of Tarragon, Oregano, Parsley, Sage and Chives. My Arugula grew so vigorously that I had to cut it back. New herbs that I planted this year are Anise Hyssop, Peppermint Mint and Cilantro. My eldest son is very fond of Cilantro, which I personally find resemble Stink Bugs on Blueberries! Apparently some people get that sensation and others don't. I do like it in some cooking together with other herbs and spices though.

Below Tarragon in its natural state and Tarragon being dried and put into little jars for the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment