Tuesday 20 January 2015

Rambling rose

I love my pink rambling rose greeting me at the entrance of my driveway. In the summer it is totally covered with lovely pink flowers.




 

Ramblers are in general, much more vigorous than climbers. They will produce great quantities of small flowers, although most do not repeat flower.

Ramblers need to be pruned to encourage flowering on young shoots that grow from the base of the plant each year. To achieve this cut out completely the side shoots that have finished flowering and tie in the new shoots in their place.

Rambling roses are said to be easy to propagate. In October I  took some cuttings and planted those in soil. They rooted well and even started to grow a little before the frost arrived. I will keep you posted on how they get on when spring is back.


No comments:

Post a Comment